24.8.12

My story: abscess

August 2011
It started with pain in my butt. It was difficult to sit and my bowell started to hurt. It was such a discomfort that eventhough I didn't really want to, I had to go see my doctor. He told me he had to feel on the inside of my butt, exactly the reason I didn't wanted to go to the doctor;) But the pain was so bad, that I thought: well just do it then and make me better. He said I had a fissure that was causing the pain. I had to use a ISDN cream that gave me a terrible headache and in about 3 weeks it should be healed.

After 2 weeks the pain was still the same, so again I went to the doctor's office. This time I had a female doctor who thought it might be hemorrhoids and my IBS (Irritable Bowle Syndrome), so I had to take pills and it would all go away. But again, the pain started to increase.

The third time I went to the doctor I was asked if maybe I was depressed.. (?!!) Yes ofcourse, I'm imagining the pain, just crave for attention and I just love people to stick their finger in my butt.. No, I'm in a lot of pain! She said it maybe was time to make an appointment for me at the hospital to have a better look inside my rectum, I was scheduled for 2 months later! How was I suppose to do that? I couldn't sit, couldn't go to work, had so much pain and was feeling sicker and sicker. I started to have a fever and a couple of days later felt a bumb in my butt, near my rectum. So I called the doctors office again, and the doctor said: 'oh am I glad you're feeling a bumb, because that's how I know what it is now, you have an abscess. Just wait a couple of days because it needs to grow ripe and then I can make a little hole in it and drain it'.

Hmm.. Oké an abscess, that sounds gross. Especially the riping part. Like I have a big pimple in my butt that they have to squeeze out.. But it also meant that I finally knew what was causing all this pain!:)

However, in the following days my fever started to rise and my mom was really worried about me. She went to the doctors office and talked to another doctor about me. That doctor wanted to see me at the doctos office the same day. When she saw me, she told me she could tell I was in a lot of pain for a very long time. And while she said that, I broke down and cried. Finally someone who believed me.. She told me I had to go to the emergency room of the hospital immediately.

So I called my mom and dad and we were in the emergency room about two hours later. A very handsome assistent-surgeon first had to feel on the inside of my butt (ofcourse:-/) and than stuck a needle in the bumb. There was no pus coming out.. He walked out of the room and came back with another surgeon. She also stuck a needle in the bumb and pushed really hard. Oh that hurt so much! She did manage to get pus out of the bumb. So yes this was a fully ripe abscess an they told the nursus to prepare a surgery room, because they were going to operate on me to drain the abscess. Huh? I guess I looked kind of shocked when they told me this.. I only had a surgery ones, and it's not like my favorite thing to do..

After that it all happened so fast. I had to go to anesthetics first. There they told me I was going to have an epidural, which I didn't liked. I wanted to be very much asleep during surgery. But that was not up for discussion. First of all, I ate a cracker 3 hours earlier and secondly the pain reduction after the surgery works much longer because half of my body would be numb for a couple of hours.

I had to check in to the hospital, they showed me my bed, got my nametag bracelet, like I was checking into a resort. And I had absolutely nothing with me. I was still wearing my dress and high heels, haha..

Then they wanted to make an echo to see the exact size and location of the abscess. When they made the echo I was also able to look at the monitor. On the screen I saw a lot of white clouds. The man who was making the echo stopped and seemed very worried. I'm not a doctor, but even I could tell this wasn't just a tiny abscess. The abscess had the size of an orange and the whole area around it, till my bowel was infected. The surgeons didn't want to take any risk and therefor also wanted to make a MRI before operating on me. I was scheduled for the MRI the next morning (I will tell you more about MRI's in another post). A surgeon came to my hospitalbed with the result of the MRI and told me it was going to be a difficult surgery because it was near my sphincters. If they were to make any mistake I could become incontinent. What?! He told me he could try to drain the abscess that day or I could wait a couple of days because there was a female surgeon specialized in this kind of surgeries. She was going to be at the hospital 4 days later. Ofcourse I wanted to wait, I've managed the pain for more than a month so 4 more days shouldn't be that hard. It was like making a decision between diapers and pain. I choose pain. He also told me I could choose to stay in the hospital or wait at home and come back 4 days later. Because of my fever and all the bacteria in a hospital I went home. The appointment with this specialized surgeon was scheduled for the next tuesday.

Geen opmerkingen:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...